Monday, December 21, 2009

Tyre Shop



Another painting based on the low story, ad-hoc buildings that are the norm in Brazil, scruffily lining the roads.

How to mainting the energy of the underpainting, to carry it through to the paintings final stages? It seems a hatefully difficult task, and I fear that I failed to do this in "House among Woods", below. Sometimes I think the medium of oils is not right for me, because it seems to encourage a definate heaviness. At other times I feel that that heaviness is a value in itself, worth enjoying.

As a rule, for me, a picture should be completed fairly rapidly: if it starts to require "messing" then it's usually because the thing was misconceived in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way the wires looks stretching across the canvas - a little malevolent.

    ReplyDelete