Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Betty's Cat



What splendid, aristocratic beasts: I'm not in the least surprised the Egyptians worshipped them.

Indeed, what is more astonishing is that these fine creatures haven't been adopted by other religions. I suppose the cat is too independent, too elegant and too self- contained a beast to satisfy Christians, who instead went for the lamb as a symbol. I understand why: it is because Christians believe, or hope "the meek shall inherit the earth", and those little white lambs seem so well to convey that quality, existing just to be turned into cutlets by Welshmen.

Myself, I'd rather live under the jurisdiction of cats (not that it's likely they'd want the administrative bother!). I've never seen much virtue in meekness, a mousey quality at best.

2 comments:

  1. Not a Welshman, but an English Christian wrote the fine poem "For I Will Consider My Cat Jeoffry:http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/for-i-will-consider-my-cat-jeoffry-excerpt-jubil/

    I see your point about lambs and sheep, but I think your claws only scratch the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gunter- it's a marvellous poem- I especially like, "For seventhly he fleas himself, that he may not be interrupted upon the beat."

    TD

    ReplyDelete