Sunday, January 3, 2010

Trees



The paper was rather small, barely much larger than A4, so next time I'll get a bigger piece, probably A1. I felt cramped when working so small and I feat the image seems cramped too.

I really need a little table too: it's uncomfortable supporting the board on ones knees.

The thing is to be to know which elements to exclude: to aim for simplicity and concision: you have to take your time, to have a plan, so as not to be overwhelmed by nature's abundance. It takes enormous concentration and I'm not surprised the Chinese masters would pray before working.

Evidence of the gesture lends energy, but shouldn't obscure description- there has to be a tension between illustration and abstraction.

It's important not to panic when things don't quite go right, but almost impossible not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment