Thursday, February 11, 2010

The end of a road, Corrego Grande

The end of a road, Corrego Grande, oil on card, 18 x 11.3 cm $54 or 35 GB pounds

I painted this squashed inside our tiny Fiat, listening to British Sea Power, as the ran fell down mercilessly outside. I could have been in the UK though I guess it would have to be colder and I'd need a Thermos Flask full of tea in the back of the car.

I'm not really happy with this: I think it heavily painted. I think the larger size- larger than a standard postcard is not entirely helpful, because one loses the sense of concentration that is so appealing in the very small "postage stamp" pictures. The sky colour I like, however.

*

The risk of working on these little paintings everyday- indeed on working on anything daily- is that although one might be able to see the lessons to be gained from each picture, one has not the time to digest and internalise these lessons: one ploughs on with the same routine, increasingly unsure of ones course, yet unable to change direction.

This is one reason why it is not really good, generally, to work continually on the same style of artwork for too long a period. I shall therefore take a little break from this after the weekend, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment