Friday, February 12, 2010

A tree with golden flowers; "the artist is always the worst critic of his own work"

A tree with golden flowers, oil on card, 10.2 x 7.2 cm, 100 Brazilian Reals

I first began working on little plein air paintings almost exactly two years ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tadeuszderegowski/sets/72157613227009246/

Looking over the set, I do feel that I have become more able. There are some experimental pieces there using scratching of paint which are not convincing. I do believe that when I am working on a piece I become blind to it: I can only really see what it is like after some time has elapsed.

It is odd that one should be so blind while working closely on something when later it's flaws appear so obvious. I suppose that is why some people say, "the artist is always the worst critic of his own work".

No comments:

Post a Comment