Sunday, March 28, 2010

Two paintings from Estreito

lOverpass, oil on card, 12.5 x 10 cm

Estreito, Street, oil on card, 10.8 x 10 cm


Two new paintings. For the first time I drove over to the continent to see what I could find for subject matter. It's great to visit unfamiliar neighbourhoods: it's refreshing. I didn't realise how tired I'd got of the familiar streets near my house.

The picture of the overpass was painted first. The second is a response to the confusion of Brazilian streets, with their incredible jumble of telegraph posts, signs, wires and buildings of all sizes and shapes. I shall do a few more like this: they are great fun to paint, and show one that there is a sort of beauty to be found in the visual chaos. It's nice to work very fast and not to fuss with corrections so the effect is lively and fun and fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment