Saturday, September 18, 2010

House, Randolph Crescent, Maida Vale, London, oil on canvas, 50 x 60 cm

Probably painted ten years ago. There is a heaviness to the painting which I am not sure if I really like, as if I was unable to say anything without over-stating it.

At the time I was interested in getting commissions for "house portraits": and I think I felt the product had very much to show evidence of "work".

The idea of doing house portraits was a nice one: I love architecture, and I love painting.

But it took me years to recognise fully that I loved painting because it offered a chance to record spontaneous subjective impressions and therefore that the whole idea of being an artist who accepts commissions could never suit me (why this wasn't blinding obvious to me is a mystery, though there was a masochistic element: I felt that being an artist was airy fairy and justifying things on purely subjective terms somehow invalid).

I did pick up ne or two commissions but was never happy either with the results or comfortable with the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment