Sunday, February 13, 2011

Wall enclosing a school; Sisley

Wall enclosing a school, oil on card, 11 x 10.5 cm

Painted on a brown base: I am experimenting more with the colour of the priming.

I feel this picture to be in my more Sisley-an mode: this is partly because of the texture, and partly because of the scale of the motive: Sisley often stood a certain distance from his motives when painting. This lends a sence of emotional reserve to his paintings, a quality I find most sympathetic.

*

It is so hot that it is quite oppressive and I hope it rains. I miss the absence of seasonal variety here: I remember autumn in Italy last year with great fondness, especially the smell of damp leaves.

I hope I can save money to go to Europe in September or October. I wish to revisit Naples.

2 comments:

  1. even though your experimenting i think you have done an excellent job,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it: without experimentation and risk we make no progress!.

    TD

    ReplyDelete