Monday, August 1, 2011

London: paintings from the south London suburbs

*


The view south from Crystal Palace, London, oil on card, about 12 x 10 cm  NOT FOR SALE



I mentioned how I had felt that painting the "official" more obvious tourist London might feel like a restriction, that as I painter it might feel as if I were working within a world of entirely pre-determined, setpiece views.

In fact, I found this less tedious and limiting thing I had imagined. There is a reason for the set piece views, and it is because they really are often truly spectacular, despite the fact that they have been turned into cliches.

So the there was no need to adopt a superior "ironical" attitude in depicting the sights, and I shall set about doing more.



The view from Brixton Hill, London, oil on card, about 12 x 10 cm  NOT FOR SALE






Nunhead Cemetery, London,oil on card, about 12 x 10 cm  SOLD






Clapham South, London, oil on card, about 12 x 10 cm




But I also did some bus journeys into the suburbs, in south London around Brixton and Crystal Palace, and to Nunhead, hoping to capture their very particular spirit, to create more intimate localised views of residential areas, perhaps places which had some memories for me.

I wish I had had more time to get into this: I hadn´t the chance to visit old haunts in Finsbury Park (spcifically the lovely Parkland walk, along the old railway line) and those areas behind Holloway Road and Hornsey which always seem forgotten to me (an instinct which was awakened in me by John Foxx who, indeed, used sections of the old railway to make a film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXTu6tiXmE)

I am very much hoping to return to London before the bad weather and darkness set in this year.



*

No comments:

Post a Comment