Sunday, June 3, 2012

Valparaiso, Chile

 Valparaiso, Cerro Bellavista, oil on card, 11 / 9 cm  SOLD


A smallish town, a port, dirty but striking with good old architecture and fine views from the hills above: in short a good painting city.

I spent most of my time in the lower commercial areas of the city and painting some of the many, impressive stucco 19th century very brightly coloured. There are many pleasant squares, though everything is in need of renovation and the whole reminds me very much of decaying Brazilian port towns that I've been to such as Pelotas or Laguna. The port area is very much Tom Waits territory, like so many ports, that air of dilapidation, which at times is very beguiling, at others merely squalid.


 Valparaiso, waterfront, oil on card, 14.5 / 10.5 cm


Of Whistler I see just a little sign:

 Valpariaso, the British Arch, oil on card., 14.5 / 11cm



 I´ve been trying to use brighter colours and the work is somewhat impressionistic, though this sort of "slab" painting is more reminiscent of Hopper:


Valparaiso, a parade of shops, oil on card, 11 / 9 cm

I didn't work as large as I'd anticipated. For travel the intensity of that postcard size is quite ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment