Friday, October 19, 2012

Painting in Orvieto

Orvieto, looking north, oil on card, 16 / 14 cm



Orvieto- looking West, oil on card, 18 / 16 cm




Orvieto is an amazingly situated city with a stunning Gothic cathedral, all very well preserved or maintained,

I tried to do the sort of tourist painting in the cathedral square that almost seems the raison d'etre for travel, but never really enjoyed it. Better were the fantastic views. The second, Orvieto- looking south is a sort of impressionism which isn't, in truth, really my bag. I'm a much meatier, heavier and more expressionist painter, much more interested in lumpiness than light. I've always felt a little self conscious about this, the heaviness in my pictures. I want to make this more of a virtue, as it is in say Morandi or Courbet.

I reached the limit of the small scale in Orvieto- looking down  where the image is like a man in a jacket tree sizes too small.

So I may shift the average scale up a bit in future trips.


No comments:

Post a Comment