Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A trip to Egypt: Cairo

*



 Nine from Cairo, in their carriers





 Cairo: a street, oil on card, 10 x 12 cm  SOLD




 Cairo is a fine messy polluted annoying place  for painting. There is a good range of different styles of buildings and the sense of being somewhere that matters.

I painted in various places: I worked from hotels, I visited the pyramids in Giza across the river, and I looked at churches and mosques from the Citadel area and from the Coptic neighbourhood.



 Cairo- from Ismaili House Hotel, oil on card, 15 x 12 cm  SOLD




This hotel had splendid views. I stayed there on the first night, it is behind Tahir square. But it is fillthy, so I moved to another, the splendid Victoria Hotel, where the manager kindly permitted me to work from the roof.



 Cairo, apartments,  painted from the Victoria Hotel, oil on card, 12.5 x 14 cm  SOLD




 From the Victoria Hotel, Cairo, oil on card, 11 x 14 cm  SOLD




Above is my hotel window, and below is the view at night.



 Nocturne, Cairo, 8 x 10 cm, oil on card




Cairo- a view from the roof of the Victoria Hotel, oil on card, 12 x 8 cm  SOLD




I visited the pyramids: the light shifting across them is a wonderful thing to watch. I want to return.





Pyramids, and the city.oil on card, 12.5 x 14 cm





A pyramid, Giza, oil on card, 14 x 11 cm  SOLD


I saw the Coptic Cathedral and churches:



Cairo, Coptic Cathedral, oil on card, 10 x 14 cm  SOLD




And I painted mosques in and around the Citadel:




 Cairo, inside a Mosque, oil on card, 14 x 14 cm  SOLD


 Cairo, Mosque, oil on card, 11.5 x 13.5 cm  SOLD






Mosque painted from the Citadel, Cairo, oil on card, 12.5 x 9 cm  SOLD



Finally, here is Cairo from the parking area below the citadel:





Cairo- a view from the Citadel, looking south, oil on card, 16 x 11 cm  SOLD


And here, to end, is the Nile:




Cairo, the Nile, oil on card, 11 x 15 cm  SOLD




I spent a week in Cairo, but one could spend a lifetime. it isn't an easy city- it`s polluted and messy and very noisy.

 But it is extremely interesting, and it is cheap to visit now, given that Egypt`s years of political crisis have devastated the tourist industry.  So I regret that I didn`t have time to do more than scrape the surface.



*

2 comments:

  1. I love the play of light and colour. Quite an amazing representation of what you saw and experienced. I think this is one of your best series so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carmen,

    I agree, I think it is one of the better sets. That`s partly because I know better what format works best for me in terms of size of picture size and pictorial approach.

    And also it`s because the place is very intresting, with layers of history and something to see in every corner, and the light is fabulous too.

    Italy, by contrast is very cleaned up, and consequently somewhat lacking in the capacity to suprise...

    All the best,


    TD

    ReplyDelete