Sunday, February 24, 2013

A trip to Egypt; thanks; thoughts; Morocco

  A view of Richmond from Ham, oil on card, 13 x 9.5 cm


Rose Issa will be showing the Egyptian pochades at the Dubai Art Fair, others were taken by the Union Gallery, Edinburgh. 

*


I regard the quality of work from this trip as markedly higher than from the Italian trip that preceded it in September 2012,  and on the same level as the week in Serrana, at the end of 2012.

Why so? In Italy I experimented with larger sizes of pochades- the result was often to disperse a certain concentration that a smaller picture can direct. There was an additional problem, which was that I was not visually surprised by Italy: a condition that nullifies creativity.

*
I want to thank those who helped me on this trip: Rose Issa, Chris and Anci, Lise Colyer, my parents, the staff at the Victoria Hotel, Cairo and, the two nice German couples -one in Luxor the other in Aswan- who, perhaps unknown to them, cheered me up immensely  when i thought things were going pear shaped.

*

The next trip will be to Uruguay, followed, most likely, by Morocco and the UK.


*

Ham House in Winter, oil on card, 9.5 x 11.2 cm

2 comments:

  1. Well done, I love the rich saturation and mix of both dark and mute colours. The scenes seem to come to full life as if one if walking about inside of them.

    ReplyDelete