Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Flowers, Vuillard, 12 x 12 x 12

Flowers, oil on card, 8.5 x 12 cm




There was a big Vuillard show in in London some years back at the Royal Academy, and I kick myself for not having gone- though in truth these large shows have become increasingly unpleasant because of crowds. 

The last of these blockbusters that I went to weas Turner, Monet, Whistler and it was more or less impossible to enjoy the work because of the bus station atmosphere.. I don`t know where all these people have come from, exhibitions didn`t seem to be so tremedously popular in my day. I am dubious that they illustrate a surge of interest in the arts- most museums and galleries remain blissfully quiet most of the time.

*

I have decided to work on a series of pictures about the apartment, and the things in it for Jim Mendola`s monthly `12 x 12 x 12event- which is mainly a music thing, but which is open to other media.

 As I envisage them, these pictures will stylistically and thematically extend from yesterdays carafe and today`s flowers to describe the atmosphere of the apartment and who I am: a sort of autobiography in objects- van Gogh meets Guston and Vuillard at a party and they start talking in low voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment