Thursday, May 16, 2013

Woodland; Germany and German Art

 Woodland, oil on card, 13 x 18 cm



 Entering Woodland, oil on card, 14.5 x 16.5 cm



"Woodland" in pochade carrier with Brazillian coins and paper clips for scale


Two recent pictures from the woods, The cool weather is coming in, the air is fresh, and the atmosphere a little melancholy. I prepare my Uruguay trip, hoping I will feel better about things on the other side of it. I think about Hamsun and how his books and life could be seen as a sort of protest against banality, the inevitability of banality. This extended to his awful pro-Nazi broadcasts, But his writing still calls out to be read.

*

I am slowly planning a German trip. This will be over a three week period, and include Munich, Berlin and the baltic. And maybe some other places along the way- i am still not sure. Somehow I think my work will be well received there. So much of what formed me is German in origin: the painters Friedrich or Kirchner, o writers like Hesse or Mann, or composers such as Beethoven.  Or I like artists who though not German, are plainly German in their mental set- such a s Hamsun above, or Munch or Schubert or Kafka.

When I speak about a German attitude to art I do not mean to reduce centuries of production to a singular notion- there are so many that would not fit any definition, but I believe what is German is often to do with a dubious attitude to form for form`s sake; a suspicion of beauty- that indeed might indeed be a summary of Mann`s Death in Venice.

No comments:

Post a Comment