Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Moroccan Adventure: Taroudant

Gates, oil on card, 12.5 x 12.5  SOLD


Taroudant is a nice old town with a leafy central square, in which snake charmers and story tellers appear at night. It`s well preserved with gates and walls almost intact, and a fine old ksar. As with the other places I saw in Morocco the mosques did not really stand out. There appears to be a standard form, with a square tower and a cupula, and this was repeated wherever I went.




 A lane, oil on card, oil on card, 12.5 x 15.5 cm  SOLD

               

One could pass a lifetime happily painting just shops in Morocco.



 Toilet attendant, oil on card, 12 x 14 cm  SOLD

This picture, above, is quite in the vein of Ardizzone, the British illustrator, whose sketchbooks are so lively.




 A grocer`s shop, oil on card, 12.5 x 15.5 cm  SOLD




A street along the walls, oil on card, 14 x 15 cm  SOLD



 A quiet street, oil on card, 15.5 x 13.5 cm



Wasteland, housing, oil on card, 12.5 x 15.5 cm



The city is expanding with building work here and there both inside and on the outskirts.



 Argan tree, oil on card, 12 x 15 cm  SOLD



The locals use bicycles a lot, whizzing past quite fearsomely in the narrow streets. I hired an old roadster and went on a little wander out of town. The landscape undulates nicely with olive groves.



A view of some tree, oil on card, 12.5 x 13 cm



 An avenue, oil on card, 12.5 x 15 cm



 A view from the walls, oil on card, 15 x 13.5 cm  SOLD



*

 Thanks

I must thank the kind Moroccan gentleman, whose name I shamefully forget, who bought me dinner and breakfast when he saw that my bank card was consumed by a cash machine and I thought the world was about to end. And I must also thank  Martin and Rea from Germany, who gave me cash to get me through the weekend, and took me for dinner too, and were delightful company besides. And thanks, of course, to my parents for wiring me some money and thus saving my skin.

Moral: have kind parents, or, when traveling, carry some cash, and never depend entirely on plastic.


*


To see or buy paintings please visit this gallery:

 ROSE ISSA PROJECTS

82 Great Portland Street London W1W 7NW 

T 0207 602 7700. T 0207 323 1710

 E info@roseissa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment