Thursday, May 29, 2014

Joaquina: sky, sea, sands; Boudin

Joaquina: sky, sea, sands, oil on card, 12.5 x 15 cm



It`s been a while since I had been down to the sea -at least successfully- and I`ll try to do more work there over the next few days, weather permitting.

I`ve taken the French easel out: it`s an elegant thing though rather heavy to lug around. But it allows me to work standing up, and to lay out my colours more easily, and makes me feel rather swish.


I wish I could easily see more of Boudin`s work- he is rather the master of this sort of long marine view, often presented on small, oblong canvases. I see that (bizzarely as I can`t find any connection between him and Brazil, and there aren`t any works by him in MASP) there is a square named after him in Sao Paolo: http://historiadesaopaulo.blogspot.com.br/2012/11/praca-eugene-boudin.html

Boudin is a true petit-maître: he has his province and works it well: he does not shout, he knows his limits and he has wit. Contemporary art is tiresomely full of ideas, as if ideas can be some sort of substitute for sensibility and material transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment