Saturday, July 5, 2014

A little trip to Alfredo Wagner

 Alfredo Wagner river, oil on card, 15 x 18.5 cm





 Alfredo Wagner, lane, oil on card, 14 x 14.5 cm   




 Alfredo Wagner small town nearby, oil on card 16.5 x 18 cm   SOLD

I`m ashamed to say that I can`t remember the name of this small town, and can`t find it on the map either.


 Alfredo Wagner, a residential area, oil on card 16 x 18.5 cm




 Alfredo Wagner, houses by the river, oil on card, 13.5 x 18.5 cm    SOLD





Araucaria tree, Near Alfredo Wagner, oil on card, 17 x 17.5 cm    SOLD



Paintings from a recent  trip into the Catarinense Mountains.

 Alfredo Wagner is not a bad place to base oneself for a short trip, if coming in from Florianopolis. True, it isn`t terribly interesting in itself, but the surroundings are splendid,  with quite a fairy-tale atmosphere to me.

I like the people of the mountains. They strike me as an industrious bunch, working in their small-holdings right up to the moment Friday`s world cup match began. They have that cheerfulness you often find in hard-working people. They keep their towns tidy, and you can see the townspeople sweeping the roads in the mornings. 

They are conservative places but they are not dour. They had  the national flag on display all over the place, though I suspect many must privately regard much of the rest of Brazil with considerable disdain. I wouldn`t blame them if they did.


2 comments:

  1. 1st, 3rd, and 4th paintings... I see influences of Frank Auerbach.

    My favorite paintings of yours ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chun: I`m happy with this little set too. There is almost certainly an Auerbach influence: Auerbach was unavoidable for my generation of painters in the UK. TD

      Delete