Sunday, May 3, 2015

April in Britain and France: Part Two: Paris

*


 Paris, oil on card, 16 x 18.5 cm





 Montmartre, oil on card, circa 17 x 15 cm 






The two above are the result of my perambulations in central Paris: not an especially easy place for painting, given the crowds of tourists who make it difficult to work peacefully. And, as a generality, famous landmarks rarely make for good paintings, as it is very difficult to develop an original attitude to them. But I am very pleased with my Eiffel Tower picture.

I would have been better off with an easel: I have since acquired a portable one: rather heavy.

The three below are from or near my little apartment in the 12th Arrondissement, Bercy, which I found more satisfactory, partly because there is so much space to work, and partly because it is not really part of the museum city, and has industrial and railway features that, aestheticised, have a definite anarchic visual appeal.

For many painters, French painting is a touchstone: this is certainly the case for me, and a trip to France is in some way inevitably a homage, specifically in my case to painters such as Utrillo or the Impressionists. I think my picture of Montmarte has sufficient Utrillo in it to count as a homage.




Railways, Bercy, oil on card 16 x 18 cm






 Bercy, looking West, oil on card, 16.5 x 22.5 cm





Near  Bois de Vincennes, Paris. oil on card, 16 x 18 cm




Rooftops, Bercy, Paris, oil on card, 16 x 18 cm








*


Many thanks to Frédéric Glorieux for his kindness in Paris.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment