Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Entries: Prêmio Aliança Francesa de Arte Contemporânea

*



 Sao Jose, the river, oil on card





Urubici, a street, oil on card  SOLD




My two entries for the annual prize of the French Institute.

I wonder if they will be accepted. There is a huge degree of arbitrariness about these open competitions, and you never know why they have accepted or rejected you. I always rather suspect that being a friend of one of the jury is the surest way of having works exhibited.

But cynicism is so often a mask behind which laziness and fear of rejection hide.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked the Urubici one. It's impressive that you see beauty in those rectangular shaped small houses, that to me, reflects our lack of architectural originality. Perhaps, our originality is in having no special originality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliano, What I like about these little wooden houses are their unpretentiousness, the cheerful colours they are painted and the way they remind me of Eastern Europe. They seem to sit harmoniously in the landscape. I assume they are comfortable. Perhaps they are unoriginal, but then again, I haven't encountered them anywhere else....

      All the best,

      TD

      Delete
  2. I think that now I got it. I never imagined then made from wood. About eastern Europe, it makes a lot of sense, even though Urubici has no ukrainian or polish influence as far as I know. There's a impression of coziness, specially if you see some smoke coming from the chimney, like my polish great-grandmother house that I know only by old photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J. Urubici has a significant population of Latvian origins. I think these wooden houses were probably pre-fabricated and supplied in kit form.

      TD

      Delete
  3. I particularly like he street painting. I think the Jury need to see a few of your pictures to get you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks...we'll see what happens; These panels are very hard to predict.

      TD

      Delete