Monday, July 20, 2015

Lagoa, haze; Dufy

*



Lagoa, haze, oil on card, 22 x 18 cm   SOLD






A Dufy-influenced piece (specifically his San Giorgio Maggiore), painted near the docks in Lagoa.

I'd always been suspiscious of Dufy, finding his work easy, but now I feel it has something to offer me.  Sometimes, in painting,  the greatest challenge is to say just enough. At times I feel like the subject at an interview: desperate to prove myself, I babble. Dufy gets the right balance, often. Maybe I should have painted with a sharper brush, however.

*

It's difficult to work with people around me, I need to be alone to work, and I need to find places which allow me to work me in peace. This is not as easy as it sounds. Brazilians are extremely sociable, mostly pleasantly so. But it isn't easy to work when people are watching and trying to talk to you.

*


No comments:

Post a Comment