Monday, June 27, 2016

A visit to southern Peru: Cusco; part one: the old city

*




Cusco: a lane, oil on card, 12.5 x 11 cm






Cusco: entrance arch, oil on card, 11 x 15 cm






Cusco: the view from a hostel, oil on card, oil on card, 12.5 x 16 cm






Cusco: Cathedral, oil on card,  11 x 14 cm




Cusco


The arrival was painful- a miserable arrival at a godless 5 am and freezing. They like to start early in Peru. Sadists. The taxi driver was blunt.

The city is charming, valley set, baroque heavy, solid, rising with increasing imperfection to the high mountains around. The hostel was cosy. I felt happy there. The people of the town are are different but not unfriendly. The city is full of surprises.

There is a long road lined with shops all small selling all manner of stuff. I plan to go there to do some work. The hills are steep and I like to climb them and see the town. The hills have handsome pine woods.

The easel is breaking up: I fix it sometimes. The paintings go confidently. I'm glad I came. I think, I am going to plan another trip very soon to another place like this, as this is what I should be doing.

I went by train to  Machu Picchu and it was stunning, if at the same time  one of those tourist sausage factory experiences. I reccomend it, but don`t bother taking the costly train as it ties you down. Hire some guy to drive you.



*

No comments:

Post a Comment