Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A visit to southern Peru: Cusco; part three: the new town

*




Cusco: narrow road downtown, oil on card, 10.5 x 14 cm





Cusco: buildings, oil on card, 10 x 12 cm





Cusco: shops downtown, oil on card, 13 x 12 cm

Cusco




I'd wanted to work on the shops which are so striking, selling piles of pig cadavers or novel varieties of potatoes piled up high, or   children's shoes spread out on a blanket on the ground or car parts or bust up cellphones or old university thesis, but there were too many people to concentrate.

 It is impossible for me to work when people are watching. Almost all viewers are pleasant, but their presence transforms me into a street performer and this prevents me from working freely: I begin immediately to think of of what effect each change to the picture has on the viewers considerations. 

I wished I had taken my little Lumix  camera because the one on the mobile is poor, and it'd have been easy to take some nice snaps. There are some things for which the camera is unquestionably superior to painting, and that includes capturing street scenes.

Anyway, here are some, rather expressionist, paintings of the streets. The high perspective is especially reminiscent of Kirchner. With such painting the question is always about finish, knowing when to end. 





*

No comments:

Post a Comment