Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A visit to southern Peru: Puno; part one, from my hotel

 *





Puno, the street below, oil on card, 18.5 x 14.5 cm






Puno is situated on the banks of Lake Titicaca, but despite the location is there is an old but not especially striking cathedral, but apart from that little of architectural distinction that I could find.

However, I found it rather agreeable, and it's one of my regrets on this trip that I didn't pass time in nearby Juliaca, Both are working cities, with dusty, brown, boxy architecture, and many people getting on with ordinary life: buying selling constructing- though Juliaca even more so- such places are very satisfactory to get on with painting. 

There'ss a a warren-like quality to the town: it reminded me of early photos of Manhattan pre-skycraper: a tight grid plan, few cars, many people, occasional poverty, buildings fighting for elbow room.

I found myself adopting styles of painting to accommodate this sensation: a coarse , angular, direct, unrefined, partly based on cartoons.




*

No comments:

Post a Comment