Friday, July 29, 2016

Two black and white paintings

 *




 My Living room, oil on card, 14 x 15.5 cm

The room in which I do most of my stuff and sit around in is really two rooms which have been knocked together, an arch dividing them. If the arch sounds rather dated and seventies and dated, then perhaps it is, but does it has the pleasant compensatory effect of making me feel like an observer of the other space. 






  Things, oil on card, 10.5 x 12 cm

Some of the objects are- a camera, scissors, sardine tins (they sell tinned sardines in these lovely silvery tins. I have started to eat these sardines simply to accumulate the delightful tins. I have four), two small bottles oneof tabasco the other of correcting fluid, sunglasses, and a stapler.





I painted several versions of these pictures, destroying the weaker ones.

I like best when the visual vocabulary is very simple- a fat line and a thin, and little tonal range. A comparison might be with those pieces of Baroque music where instruments are paired to pursue a music structure whose simplicity allows their qualities to be contrasted.





 *

No comments:

Post a Comment