Sunday, July 16, 2017

A drive to Urussanga and Anitapolis

*




 Woodland and fields, between Urussanga and Orleans
 oil on card, 16.5 x 14.5 cm





 Homestead, late afternoon, between Urussanga and Orleans
 oil on card, 18 x 16.5 cm

This, above, works well.





 Woodland, São Ludgero, oil on card, 15 x 18.3 cm






 Little house, near Anitapolis, oil on card. 15 x 18 cm 





I am attempting to create a style that is bolder and less ridden with equivocation. I feel that my mountain pictures are particularly prone to this fussiness. I think I am trying too hard. That may be because I am in awe of the subject, and therefore unable to respond with creative freedom. I need to find another approach. 

A fine painter of mountains is Bomberg: I must try to get a catalogue of his work.


*

I took the wrong road from Anitapolis north, going to Alfredo Wagner by the most tortuous and at times muddy track. The views were fantastic, but I nearly damaged my car, and it took forever. Thank God it wasn't raining. I should have taken the paved road to Rancho Queimado. When I realised my error I had already driven already for 15 minutes and  didn't imagine that the way ahead would become so difficult.

I'd intended to stay another night in the mountains but I came back, exhausted by that drive. There is little to do in the mountain towns at night. You just sit somewhere and read and eat hotdogs because there aren't any proper restaurants and wonder what the hell you are doing there. But I like that emptiness sometimes.





*

No comments:

Post a Comment