Saturday, July 1, 2017

Bushwick Park, Brooklyn, New York

*



 Near Cooper Street, Brooklyn, oil on card, 17.5 x 15.2 cm




This, above, is  one of the best of the bunch.  The colours are fresh, harmonious and original. The picture was painted fast but isn't slapdash. 

It's pretty much what I worked to make: I recall that when I arrived I had this sense of irritation about how fussy my work had become and how I wanted to remove all its fiddly details and make something assured, elegant and fresh- on the  back of New York's architectural boldness.


I harboured the desire to create pictures with a similar confidence, giving the same satisfactions as such typography as this:









 Rockaway Avenue, Brooklyn, oil on card, 12 x 14 cm



The grand terraces remind me of Glasgow.




 A view from Jefferson Avenue, Brooklyn, oil on card, 16.5 x 18 cm  SOLD





Looking down from the roof,  Jefferson Avenue, Brooklyn
 oil on card, 17.5 x 15.5 cm



Painted from the rooftop (above), this is almost a remaking of a painting from Queens five years ago: this one large and more unruly. I think this sort of pictures chimes a lot stylisically and thematically with Joan Eardley.





A view from Jefferson Avenue, Brooklyn, oil on card, 16.5 x 18 cm





*







No comments:

Post a Comment