Friday, March 8, 2019

My fourth Peruvian trip: Chivay part 5

*


Chivay, Colca Valley, oil on card, 21 x 17.3 cm - available







 Chivay, a tree, oil on card, 23.5 x 21 cm sidcarded







 Chivay, a road, oil on card, 21 x 19.2 cm - diiscarded






These are the final three pictures from Chivay, an excellent place to work and a highly agreeable town to stay in. But I would recommend that travellers there bring a book to read as the evenings can be rather quiet.

These three are all painted more thickly than the previous set. 

In the six weeks I worked I had enough time to make quite a considerable advance- to work on larger pieces  and more confidently. Indeed, six weeks is probably as long as one can work on a daily basis without fatigue. You'd need a week off and a change of location to some utterly different landscape to maintain freshness.

 But these pictures remain simple in both a technical and conceptual sense.

Are they rather old-fashioned? Should an artist be attempting to engage more with the contemporary world? Anyway, do such questions matter if you enjoy what you do?

Well,  I hope to exhibit some of them here and in Scotland later in the year and will perhaps see if such questions are broached.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment