Friday, November 27, 2020

Segments of rock

*



Segments of rock by Doces Campestrini




These are small sections of sticks of rock. I had already chosen and bagged some sweets, but then I saw these, so beautiful next to the cash desk: I had to get them too. 

The flavors are okay. They really belong to a pre-modern, pre-clinical age of sweet manufacture, and are a little unsophisticated. The orange is acceptably Kia-Ora orangey- slightly fizzy (like Spangles, if you remember them?). The green is convincingly apple-ish. The white one has a buttermilk flavour that does take one a little by surprise. Best is the pink which does a solid sex steamy strawberry kiss: a real behind the bike shed snog to boast about on the bus home.

Like many sweets you want to chew them the instant they arrive in your mouth. Usually I'd counsel against this but with these sweeties I'd suggest that this was the right way to go about extracting the best flavour: to crush them between your molars in a prompt, unprincipled manner. 

The thing that got me, really got under my skin and made me impulse buy was the green. That emerald green really just hit me smack in the eyes and I was smitten,  helpless. I became quite stupid and I had to take these sweeties home. 

You don't, these days see this colour often,. It's a bit out of date, and very fin de sciecle like peacock feathers or hippy communes in bottle green velvet jackets and  floppy fedoras. I love how it combines with the citric yellow and I love the nearly but not exact geometricity of it all, which reminds me of stencils. And, of course, broken gemstones.


*


No comments:

Post a Comment