*
A Nice Party
Setting: A big old house with a huge garden, comprising a vast lawn and a wooded area
I had finally completed my houseman year and was at a Vincent's party and this girl with big eyes said something I couldn't hear. She yelled and beckoned and I followed her into a corner , where she had a friend with a red mouth and the friend said "Hi." I said, "I'm Caspasian." She said "What? I can't hear a thing here. Let's go outside."
So we went out down some steps and across the slope of lawn which gradually reached a copse where a log seemed to have fallen so artfully that it might really have been a landscape designers contrivance.
"I'm Caspasian." The girl with big eyes replied, "I'm Leslie", then the girl with the red lips said, "you don`t recognise me do you?" "Not really?" "I was at school with you." "You're kidding" "Yes, I'm Sarah." "O God that's unbelievable, it is you!" "Yes, it is me!" "You did that crazy thing with a ruler in maths." "Oh fuck. That..." And she laughed and Leslie asked, "what crazy thing with a ruler?" and Sarah and I laughed, "no, no, you had better not know", and Leslie said, "oh you two are so annoying, I might go back to the house."
Well, nothing is as boring as the reminiscences of others, so we stopped that and sat down on the fallen tree.
We looked at the big dark blue sky and we looked at the trees reaching up and we looked at the moon in its holiness.
"It's great here," said Sarah.
A light breeze and the sound, faint, of music from the house.
"What are we waiting for?" said Leslie.
"Are we waiting for something?" I asked.
"Oh you are so naive," said Sarah, and she took a little shiny box from a bag she had and inside were three blue pills. "Got them from Vince."
"Should be good," said Leslie.
"Fab," said Sarah.
"What is it?" I asked.
"They're blue Smarties," said Sarah.
"If they're from Vince they should be good," said Leslie.
We took the pills.
At first there was nothing but presently I rose in the gondola of a great silent balloon, free and floating.
"Fuck," said Sarah.
"Gosh," said Leslie.
"Oh my," said I.
We soared, the gondola evaporated and then I was performing summersaults in slow motion, and the summersaults went so high I could touch passing birds. Then we were sky diving, we linked hands and span though moonlit clouds (what a cliche you say, but some delights are no less joyful for their unoriginality).
Leslie said, "ooh this is good isnt it?" "O crikey," said Sarah," amazing."
After about an hour it eased off and our sense of the fallen tree and the grave woods around became more apparent.
Leslie stood up. "Wow. I`m going inside."
*
Just me and Sarah.
She sat closer. "So...?" she said.
"Mmm," I said.
"You're not as I remember you."
"Have I improved, like a fine wine?"
"Not sure," said Sarah, "I never judge the book by the cover."
"Mixed metaphors!" I said.
"Oh shut up, pompous, and give us a snog," She pulled me towards her and pressed her warm red mouth against mine. We snogged for ages, a rather fabulous sensation, and one I hope, Dear Reader, you are familiar with, as it's hard to convey in prose.
After a considerable time spent doing that we paused, "you`re not a bad snogger you know," said Sarah.
"Oh thank you! You're not too bad yourself. "
"I've been doing it for ages."
"Well, it's good to get positive feedback," I said, "It's so hard to be objective, when it comes to snogging."
Sarah laughed, "I bet you learnt from Youtube vidoes."
"I did. But you're not my first. I practice on old ladies in the geriatric wards."
"Nothing like learning from someone with experience...but you are quite sick." She gently touched my foot with hers. "Sick...in a good way, I mean"
"Thanks. My great grandmother was an Edinburgh wigmaker."
Sarah laughed, "You're really fucking crazy, you know that?"
And we snogged some more.
I didn't meet Sarah again for several years: she was leaving a jewellery shop with some guy, and it was all politeness.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment