Saturday, December 31, 2022

Annual Review 2022


 *

 Annual Review 2022

 

Bare trees,Praia Moçambique, oil on card, 27.5 x 29.5 cm

*

 Travels

 

I travelled to  Scotland in May, to Rio Grande do Sul and inside Santa Catarina. I should have travelled more, I feel- I was unimaginative, or lazy or both. Since mid-December I`ve been in Colombia, however, working hard.


*


Social Media

 

Flickr

 I have 667 followers, down from 945.  I no longer subscribe to this site and I guess others also stopped.


Blogger

 There are 86 followers, up by two from last year. There were 17.8000 visitors tracked - up from 40, 300. This figure seems to me to be too high to be credible.

  The most popular countries appear to be USA 46%, Germany 26%, Brazil 6%, Russia 4% and the UK at 3%.

 

Instagram 

 I started using this site again. It is a very nice site with clean graphics and is easy to use. I use two accounts: one for photos and the other for landscape paintings.

That with landscape paintings - tadeusz_deregowski - has 356 followers. The one with photography - tderegowskiphotos - has 98 followers. 

These numbers, in Instagram terms, are very low.


Saachi

I didn't sell anything here.

 

Facebook

 I continue to post here and receive good feedback. It is very good to have a page to post work and maintain a dialogue with the public.

 

 Photography

 

Canasvieiras, roots, wall
 
 

Modest photography

 I took photos from the neighbourhood and of the things I find interesting. Sometimes I wrote texts to accompany these. I am attempting to work with an idea called modest photography. This is about taking photographs which are reserved in tone, not showy or melodramatic and which depict commonplace items.

I also take photographs of things in the neighborhood. Again, my intention is to look at the ordinary in a cool-tempered way.


Painting

 

 
Parque Estadual do Rio Vermelho, December 6, trees
 watercolour on paper, 28 x 38.2 cm
 

I worked on a larger size in oils, moving up to a little under A3.

Then, I began to work in watercolour after a hiatus of over twenty years.

 I am not entirely happy with the progress I made with this, and feel I have a few hurdles to overcome: the weightlessness of the medium troubles me.



Writing

 

I wrote several short stories, and a novella. I wrote texts to accompany photos and autobiographical sketches.

*

 

Next year: 2023

 

I will begin t023 in Colombia then proceed to Ecuador. Other than this 2023 has nothing planned. I  wonder if I should set something up? It seems rather bleak to have nothing for June or July? 



Exhibitions and Sales

Sales were slow partly because I did no exhibit except for at the SSA 130 years Annual, in Edinburgh. 



Parting thoughts

Surely it was not just me? 2022 was an odd year, unhappy, filled with neuroses. It felt somehow stagnant, lacking in inspiration, very much one foot in front of the other.
 
But not every day can bring grand victories and I can perhaps take some satisfaction in the steady progress I made in watercolour painting.



*
 
 
Urussanga, R. Pref. Jacinto de Brida, oil on card, 29.7 x 27.5 cm 
 
 
 
 
 
*

No comments:

Post a Comment