Friday, March 3, 2023

In my living room

 *

 

 
In my living room, early March, 2023
 
 
 

There's been a change to this corner of the living room: that is, the Croton has appeared on the stool, replacing the Peace lily, which is now on the floor on left.

The Croton plant, in the conical clay vase, has a distinct personality: insistent yet in no way vulgar. 

What's it trying to say?

 It's a new arrival and I'm concerned about its well-being: after I had purchased it, I was siting in the cafe area of the shop and  was approached by another customer who told me about he he had purchased and planted six similar plants in his garden, all of which had been entirely consumed by ants.

 But he then added that if the plant were kept in a vase he thought it would be all right. Did he say that simply to close the conversation pleasantly, or was it something he he really believed? 

I don't know, and I doubt I'll ever find out.

Perhaps the plant wishes to tell us: "I'm still a stranger here, see me! Afford me the care and protection that is my due."

The detective in a Panama hat observes...

 

*

No comments:

Post a Comment