*
One of the nicest things is to look out a window at a new view...
Travel Wish list 2025
Fingers crossed and 2026 might allow for more wanderings.
This is my updated travel wish list: it hadn`t been updated since 2020.
I`ve scored off a few, and added others.
My logic, more or less, is to prioritize places that are good for painting across the year, and ideally not expensive. That means a lot of Europe is best avoided. There is also Brexit, or "Brex-shit" as it might better be termed, which prevents lengthy periods in Europe without visa hassles.
As I am now in the UK, South America is a lot more expensive to get to. And I did visit almost all of the South American places on the 2020 list.
Moreover, now Asia is closer and cheaper.
*
R= revisiting
Spain R
Cádiz R
Seville R
Valencia
Granada R
Jerez de la Frontera
UK R
Portmeirion - the cost of even the simplest hotel in the UK is so high (especially considering he tiny fusty pit you`ll receive for your money) that the chances of my crossing the UK to visit this curious place soon are low
Finland
I suspect this is a very unfriendly country and that puts me off enormously. Orderly, costly and not much fun. I fear the same for Sweden
Sweden
Norway R
USA R
I dread being harassed by the USA`s border security, who were gratuitously obnoxious in New York a few years ago. It could well be worse now. Ergo: on hold
Paterson, New Jersey
Northern California - Redwood trees. Sierra Nevada. Need I say more?
Montana
New York R - always seems to surprise me
Nevada - This and the next two are here because they have such bizarre landscapes
Arizona
New Mexico
Italy R
Rome R - I love this city and want to paint more bridges along the river
Turin R -I regret not really seeing it properly when I went twenty-five years ago
Ferrara -This and below are here because of de Chirico
Mantua
Palermo - baroque architecture
Mexico
Oaxaca - both seem to be interesting, though crime is a bit of an issue for the plein air painterMexico City
Turkey R
Antalya- These may be a good autumn /end of the year option
Fethiye
Japan
France R
Paris R
Bordeaux
Brittany
Nimes
Lyons
Marseille- this is one of the few French places whose reputation suggests some sort of vitality. I suspect the others of being enervated, sterilised, joyless.
Switzerland R
Mountains
Bern
Zurich
The expense of Europe is very off-putting. Nonetheless, the idea of spending a concentrated three weeks in the Alps painting is very appealing. I want to visit Kunsthaus, Zurich. Also, I want to look at more of Bocklin, Hodller- which is largely in Basel, while Klee has he Zentrum Paul Klee in Bern.
Armenia
I have a romantic idea about this place But the reality, so informed by conflict, might be somewhat exhausting.
Nepal
This is a follow-on from India this year. It`s cheap, often beautiful and visually exciting. Why not?
India R
Mussoorie R - I`d happily revisit for about ten days
Udaipur R - a very agreeable place to revisit for a week or two
Pushkar - I could do a week or two here again though it`s less interesting than Udaipur.
Kerala - Both see pleasant and cheap and, apparently, not as filthy as the north of India
Goa - like Kerala, also probably very touristy, but perhaps that is ok for a few weeks?
Puducherry /Pondicherry - it might be a bit polished but so what?
*

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment