Saturday, September 1, 2018

Paintings from Chicago- Part 1- out of the Loop

*



Wicker Park, overground railway, oil on card, 20.5 x 23.6 cm
unavailable




The paintings from Chicago divide into Loop, West Loop and non-Loop.


Chicago is constructed on a plain extending from Lake and based on a grid system of great regularity with large blocks. It has a fine overground railway system and there are magnificent old factories and warehouses- I`d love to work more with them if I`m ever back in the city. These large, usually cubic, buildings, stark in the sun, are ideal for developing a simplified style based on flat planes of colour. 






Chicago, Western Avenue, railway crossings and warehouses
 oil on card, 18 x 16 cm -   available



This, above, represents the bolder style -much influenced by Sironi and I am very pleased with it.






View down from an apartment on Madison, oil on card, 23.2 x 20 cm





Japanese Garden, Lincoln Park, oil on card, 18 x 22.5 cm - unavailable








*

No comments:

Post a Comment