Thursday, July 9, 2020

Places to visit; rationale

*



The world




This is my updated travel wish list.  I`ve scored off a few, and added others. 


Rationale

My logic, more or less, is to prioritize places that are good for painting in Europe or Latin America. 

I want sunshine but not so much heat that going out is impossible much of the day.  I like to continue exploring places I`ve been to before, adding to existing painting series. Thus, for example, I will return to Peru and Chile. Or perhaps I feel my paintings from previous trips weren't good enough. I also like revisiting because I`m curious to see if places are as I remember them and if they evoke some meaningful emotion. I`m surprised how rarely I discover this to be the case. 

There are places I go to because I feel I ought to, usually because they are noted for art collections or their architecture. It often seems that such esteemed places aren`t that fun to hang around in, or that they are costly or take themselves very seriously. I think I prefer to hang around obscure little towns in Peru to loitering in Paris. People seem to be a bit more fun and pleasant in such places. 

I've found travelling in Arab countries to be severely spoiled by harassment, which reaches the level of bullying, and although the towns and monuments are often visually striking this doesn't compensate for the discomfort I often felt in Arabic parts of Morocco or Egypt. The Berber and Nubian areas were notably more agreeable.  Ergo, there are no Arab dominated countries on this list.

I love nature and as I get older it gets more and more priority over culture. I try to visit a variety of landscapes across the year. 

Cost is also an issue. Being a guest is free, but necessitates submitting to, often unclear expectations. Usually, I damage something in my host`s house and there is some embarrassment about how I needn`t pay for it. A gift is essential- but what, exactly?

Another consideration is age. I'm 51 and I guess I've about another twenty years of easy mobility. I have to prioritise: I'd prefer a more thorough knowledge of a little than superficial familiarity with a lot. 


Hotels in northern Europe are costly and often joyless. In southern Europe there are better prospects. There is AIRBNB too, but that can be weird, an uneasy zone between being a guest and a tenant. And some AIRBNB places are downright weird. But Latin America is still affordable, and is where I am, and thus I favour it. India and Southeast Asia might also appear but they are so far that the air fare becomes high.


*


R= revisit

Spain R

Cádiz
Seville
Valencia
Granada

Cordoba -NEW


UK R

West Coast of Scotland and the Western Isles  - too much rain 

Galashiels - ditto too much rain 
Hawick 
 too much rain 
Selkirk 
 too much rain 
New Forest R
North Wales R - also a lot of rain. Might be removed
Portmeiron



Finland


Sweden


Norway R


USA


Paterson, New Jersey
Chicago -I went and didn't like it that much
Northern California
Montana
Idaho- I have a feeling it might be quite weird.
New York R- always seems to surprise me
Washington State - lost interest completely

Nevada -  NEW - This and the next two are here because they have such bizarre landscapes.
Arizona- NEW
New Mexico- NEW


Italy R

Rome R - I want to paint more bridges along the river
Turin R. -I regret not really seeing it properly when I went twenty years ago
Milan R
Ferrara -This and below are here because of de Chirico
Mantua


Brazil R 

Rio R

Rio Grande de Sul R - Especially the wine region to the north R

Mexico NEW


Mexico City and much more- I think here must be very visually striking. More research due.


Ecuador

Chile R


Patagonia -  this is a good January destination
Atacama desert


Peru R- There are quite a few corners left to explore

Bolivia R - I didn't really this place justice before

Turkey R

Istanbul R

Poland R

Masuria

Japan 

France R


Paris 
Bordeaux
Brittany
Nimes
Lyons
Marseille - NEW

Switzerland R-  Mountains. The expense of this country, and much of Europe is very off-putting. Latin America is preferable just for this reason.

Armenia - NEW -  I have a romantic idea about this place



*

No comments:

Post a Comment