*
Amore
These sweets are better than the real thing- not so tart. There are black ones too, but I thought the red photographed better.
I take a long time to chose the sweets which hamg in a row in a local shop. It sells a weird assortment of undesirable goods- ugly ceramics, hideous plastic flowers, readily destructible cookware.
How they decided to sell sweets is beyond me. But there is a row of about twenty packets and although the shop has very narrow aisles and is tightly stacked with the aforementioned rubbish and God knows what else, and I feel quite claustrophobic and irritable, I cannot help but take a good deal of time deciding what to chose.
I swing from one choice to another then another then back again: licorice balls, or amores or banana candies or sweets in the form of eyeballs or teeth (yes teeth!)...
Paying in the shop taked an eternity because for a good many customers the function of shopping and specifically visiting this awful shop is mainly social and they try to engage the saleswoman (who in fact isn't friendly in the least) in dialogue. For some reason it takes them ages to get their payment cards from their purses and put them in the machines and they must narrate each action in detail. It takes forever for them to discuss whether a bag is necessary, and a further eon to put their purchases in the bag.
Anyway, eventually I've paid and escaped from this vile shop, and though wearing my COVID mask, I'm too overwhelmed by relief and happiness to wait until I get home and, tearing a corner, of the plastic packet, I sneak one of the sweeties under my mask and into my mouth and dream.
*
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment