Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Stuff on a table: working in still life

 *

 

 
Stuff on a table, watercolour on paper, 12.7x 13 cm
 
 
 
 

Still life really is an excellent way of experimenting with art materials as well as thoughts: you work patiently in your studio, or wherever, hassle free. The elements don't trouble you and the motif doesn't change too much over a few hours.

 The sort of still life that interests me is usually quite personal. It's about the stuff lying around where I live: a kind of private documentation.

  I love many types of objects especially boxes, seeds, coins, bowls and books. I prefer objects which have a certain solidity and a clear geometry to them: eggs are wonderful. I do also like coloured fabrics, however...

 I am not fond of fluffiness. I usually find dolls unpleasant. Also, I generally do not like cuteness, as is often seen little porcelain figures.

I like the notion that any meanings that might issue from the objects depicted, and their relations, might unconsciously. I'm not excited by the formalised  arrangements of objects with their standardised symbolism that came to dominate the European tradition: the skulls, wine bottles, candles and so forth.

 

 

*

 

No comments:

Post a Comment